By Hidemitsu Takahashi
1. checklist of figures, graphics; 2. checklist of tables, pxi; three. Abbreviations, pxiii; four. Acknowledgments, pxv-xvii; five. 1. creation, p1-20; 6. 2. staring at English imperatives in motion, p21-56; 7. three. The which means of the English vital, p57-92; eight. four. Accounting for a number of the findings in bankruptcy 2 and the alternative among imperatives and oblique directives, p93-119; nine. five. combined primary structures: Passive, revolutionary, and perfective imperatives in English, p121-135; 10. 6. Conditional imperatives in English, p137-171; eleven. 7. English imperatives in concessive clauses, p173-196; 12. eight. eastern imperatives, p197-219; thirteen. nine. Conclusions and customers, p221-224; 14. References, p225-236; 15. info resources, p237; sixteen. identify index, p239-240; 17. topic index, p241-242
Read Online or Download A cognitive linguistic analysis of the English imperative : with special reference to Japanese imperatives PDF
Similar grammar books
A Frequency Dictionary of Dutch is a useful software for all newbies of Dutch, offering a listing of the 5,000 most often used phrases within the language. in accordance with a 290 million notice corpus including either written and spoken fabric from quite a lot of assets, this dictionary offers Dutch middle vocabulary in a close and obviously prepared demeanour: all of the 5,000 entries comprises English equivalents and a pattern sentence displaying language in use.
This quantity includes ten articles exploring quite a lot of concerns within the research of the principal clause from a generative standpoint. The language info investigated intimately within the articles come from Dutch, English, German, (old) Scandinavian, Spanish, and South Slavic; there's additional major dialogue of information from different Germanic and Romance languages.
Excerpt from A Grammar of the Welsh Language in response to the main licensed structures: With Copious Examples From probably the most right Welsh WritersThis Essay, independently of its intrinsic worthy, benefits nice compliment, as being the 1st standard try and clarify the foundations of Welsh Syntax. In giving definitions of issues belonging to common Grammar, and in displaying correspondence of idiom among the Welsh and the Latin and Greek languages, a lot aid was once additionally derived from Zumpt, Key, Arnold, Matthiæ, and Kühner.
- Nama Hottentot grammar
- Thoughts on Grammaticalization
- How English Works: A Grammar Handbook with Readings
- Cognitive Approaches to Tense, Aspect, and Epistemic Modality (Human Cognitive Processing)
- On Language and Linguistics (Collected Works M. A. K. Halliday)
Extra resources for A cognitive linguistic analysis of the English imperative : with special reference to Japanese imperatives
To illustrate, unlike let’s, the let imperative readily combines with a “pseudo-imperative” construction: (17) a. Let anyone question what he says and he flies into a rage. (example from Huddleston and Pullum 2002: 939) b. Let’s question what he says and he flies into a rage. Note that sentence (17a) is near-synonymous with an overt conditional as in “If you let anyone question what he says, he flies into a rage”. The analytic results of my data are broadly compatible with Stefanowitch and Gries’s in two respects.
Sky, p. 133) It rang again. ” (Sky, p. 139) “Let them wait. ” (Pelican, p, 50) “Let her calm down,” he said wisely, and Andrew looked at them and rolled his eyes. (Malice, p. 346) e. “Then don’t let anything stop you. You have a right to this. You’re good at what you do.
Fourth, three frequent verbs tell, let and give strongly prefer to occur with the first-person pronoun me as indirect object. Finally, a particular class of verbs and adjectives systematically appear with overt negatives. These are expressions denoting (mental) actions or attitudes considered undesirable or socially inappropriate. Included are worry, bother, mind as well as rude, hard (on oneself), naïve, stupid, silly, ridiculous, and angry. 2 What are the most frequent verbs in English imperatives?
A cognitive linguistic analysis of the English imperative : with special reference to Japanese imperatives by Hidemitsu Takahashi